Weight at the bow

Share and discuss.

Moderator: admin

endless

Weight at the bow

Post by endless »

I have just purchased a '85 Victoria Frances 26 sloop rig (no bowsprit) and am preparing for a few projects before I put her on the water near Norfolk, Virginia with plans to head south.

One of my first projects is to upgrade to a chain rode. The anchor locker has not been modified and what one would find in the "Drawings" section of this website. I need some advice on how much weight she might be able to handle at the bow. As I prepare to switch to a chain rode I am concerned with having too much weight at the bow.

How much chain have you been able to store in the chain locker?

I am looking at adding 100 feet (30 meters) of 1/4 inch high test chain. To be honest I don't know how much volume 100 feet of 1/4 chain will be. That certainly could be a deciding factor. I have on hand my choice of either a 25 CQR or a 35 CQR and will most likely stick with one of those. I would like to keep the anchor at the bow ready for deployment. In general I would like to hear from people who have a good feeling on how much weight at the bow a Frances 26 can handle without affecting her fine sailing qualities

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
itchen

Re: Weight at the bow

Post by itchen »

I think I saw your Frances ..is this the one at the yard in Irvington VA ? Nice looking boat. At first I could not figure the design and then I remembered the hull form from the Mate book.."Best Boats to Build or Buy" I usually keep my boat over at Rappahannock Yachts.

On the weight in the bow... I would send a note to Chuck Paine and ask his opinion. I think he has a website. I was considering downsizing from the 31 I now have and have talked to James at Morris Yachts. The Frances is high up on my list. Good luck with your new ship.

Mark
CG 31
Kilmarnock VA
garyanddonna

Post by garyanddonna »

Hello Endless:
I have a 1977 Frances 26 with a 25 lb CQR, 25 ft of chain + 200 ft of rode.
I think a 35 CQR would be too much wt up in the bow. I would trade the wt of a 35 CQR for a 25 CQR and that lets you carry more chain.

Currently I am adding an aft chain locker.
I had a larger boat back some years ago with an aft chain locker and it was very useful.

Spring of 2013 I plan to get my Frances near Savannah GA, maybe we can meet up someday, somewhere.

Aurora

endless wrote:I have just purchased a '85 Victoria Frances 26 sloop rig (no bowsprit) and am preparing for a few projects before I put her on the water near Norfolk, Virginia with plans to head south.

One of my first projects is to upgrade to a chain rode. The anchor locker has not been modified and what one would find in the "Drawings" section of this website. I need some advice on how much weight she might be able to handle at the bow. As I prepare to switch to a chain rode I am concerned with having too much weight at the bow.

How much chain have you been able to store in the chain locker?

I am looking at adding 100 feet (30 meters) of 1/4 inch high test chain. To be honest I don't know how much volume 100 feet of 1/4 chain will be. That certainly could be a deciding factor. I have on hand my choice of either a 25 CQR or a 35 CQR and will most likely stick with one of those. I would like to keep the anchor at the bow ready for deployment. In general I would like to hear from people who have a good feeling on how much weight at the bow a Frances 26 can handle without affecting her fine sailing qualities

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
laluz

Post by laluz »

I have moved the chain locker on Laluz back quite a bit---about one mtr forward of the mast. Back in Panama I replaced the Delta with a 15kg Rocna. I also started using 45mtrs 7mm high test spliced to 60 mtrs of 13mm three strand line. On long passages the Rocna is removed and stored in the cockpit locker. This set up worked perfectly across the South Pacific, and has proven itself again here in New Zealand, which can be a pretty windy place. Using the Rocna has been a real eye opener for me...I have never had an anchor that snags and digs in so quickly. After a few days in one spot, the real challenge is breaking the beast out without breaking my back in the process. The anchor also works amazingly well on short scope, which can come in handy. Seems the Manson might even have some advantages over the Rocna, such as the long slot on top of the shank for breaking out. If I h ad to buy again, I 'd probably get the same sized Manson... Anyway, just my .02. Happy sailing to you all, Doug