bolted on lead keel question

Share and discuss.

Moderator: admin

wswezey1

bolted on lead keel question

Post by wswezey1 »

I am looking at purchasing this '78 Frances. It is most definitely a project boat and my main concern are the cracks on the keel. It appears to be a bolted on lead keel and the cracks appear to be in the paint along the edge of the lead only along about half of the lead on both sides. Does this look structural to anybody or does it just need to be sanded down, calked, and painted again? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
-Billy

I am trying to post the pictures now.
wswezey1

Re: bolted on lead keel question

Post by wswezey1 »

Here they are
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wswezey1

Post by wswezey1 »

"Hello
May 2012 I purchased a 1977 Frances 26, the boat is now in Georgia. She has some issues but not any with the keel. I do not have the problem that your pictures show. Have you tried to tighten the keel boats at all to see if they snug up. Are the bolts clean looking or corroded What does the bilge look like, do you see any stress cracks in the area around the keel boats?.

What is the condition of the rest of the boat?"
wswezey1

Post by wswezey1 »

The rest of the boat is in pretty rough condition. Definitely going to be a project boat. I checked out the keel again and it definitely looks more cosmetic. Someone mentioned this happened because the fiberglass and lead expand and contract at different rates causing the crack. The keel bolts in the bilge look to be in very good shape, no corrosion really but I haven't tried to tighten them up yet.
garyanddonna

Post by garyanddonna »

Hello:
Did you get the Frances and moving forward with the repairs?
My Frances in now in the water (Lake Lanier), still work to do but more enjoyable in the water.
G
wswezey1

Post by wswezey1 »

Just beginning the work. Haven't touched the keel yet I'm going to wait till spring for that. Just too update, I took a good look at the keel bolts and they are all tight and no corrosion at all around them. I am going to fair out the crack and fill it with g-flex epoxy then paint over the whole area with the proper paint.
laluz

Post by laluz »

Mine looked just like that. There is no leaking when hard on the wind, the bolts look good, so I think it is just what happens with unencapsulated lead keels....