New to forum. I've got a couple questions.

Share and discuss.

Moderator: admin

Junkman

New to forum. I've got a couple questions.

Post by Junkman »

First of all great job on this sight. I've wanted a Frances for over 20 years. At one time I lived aboard an Aquarius Pilot Cutter but still pined of a Frances.

Anyways I have two questions.

1. What have the long range cruisers done about water tankage? I've seen under 20 gallons on most of the boats.

2. What are folks doing about a tender? It looks like a tiny hard dingy might be possible but hard to tell.

Thanks,
Tom
itchen

Re: New to forum. I've got a couple questions.

Post by itchen »

Hello Tom

Welcome to the forum. Cannot speak much to the tankage issue. My boat has flexible tanks port and starboard just forward of galley and chart table. Expanding this capacity in other areas under berths with additional flexible tanks may be the best option as some of these spaces are irregular. Another possibility is to fiberglass off some sections under berths instead of using the bladder type tanks (flexible).

As to the dingy... I am looking for a Fatty Knees as they row and tow well...not to mention they also have the classic look
that compliments the Frances . Might be able to stow on deck forward of mast....have to measure.

Have you located a boat yet? I started with larger boats ( Cape George 36 and BCC 28 ) The Frances has been the best to suite my sailing , single handed and mostly day sails with occasional cruise.

Best to you
Mark
SV Seabird :D
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Not seriously looking just yet. My wife declared a 10 year moratorium on boat ownership that expired a year ago or so but we also live 3hrs inland now. I'm shuffling things around to give myself more water time. I'd love to do a major refit on a Frances like the ones I've seen on here. I actually enjoy that kind if thing.
itchen

Post by itchen »

Tom,

10 year moratorium ? Man..she is tough. You should keep your eyes peeled as they generally do not come on the market too often. When they do they usually move fast if they in any kind of shape for the price. Where do you plan to sail her
should you find one?

Best

Mark
SV Seabird
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Mark, all I can say about the moratorium is it followed a decade of living on two different sailboats and a steady diet of overseas surftrips. Living on Maui was also part or the deal. So I didn't mean to paint the wife in a bad light. I was also a professional mariner during about half the moratorium, so I got a belly full of ships and boats.

As far as where, I'm imagining trailering to both coasts for two and three weeks long trips. That's the appeal of these boats to me.

Tom
gil

Post by gil »

Hello,

Mine does not have a water tank, so problem solved there, it will be bottles.
I just got an Achilles LEX-77 for a dinghy, but I doubt it will fit on deck.
It will have to be towed or stowed inside on passages.

Gil.