Fitting a Tiller Autopilot

Share and discuss.

Moderator: admin

dgibbons

Fitting a Tiller Autopilot

Post by dgibbons »

Greetings,
My first question to the group. Are there any currently produced tiller pilots which DO NOT require a cantilevered mount outboard of the toe rail? Malish came with an antique which is short enough, but I am planning for when it gives of the ghost.

Dennis
Malish
Victoria Frances 26
itchen

Re: Fitting a Tiller Autopilot

Post by itchen »

Hello Dennis,

I am not aware of a tiller pilot made not requiring an extended ( cantilevered ) bracket. My boat has a removable L shaped stainless tube that
sits in a socket on toerail. When not in use it can be removed though I usually just leave it in place. I have an older usable tiller pilot available
( spare ) which came with a BCC that I owned previously. You are welcome to it for the cost of postage.

Given the narrow confines of the aft cockpit area I am not sure there is another solution.

Sincerely

Mark
SV Seabird :D
dgibbons

Post by dgibbons »

Mark,
Can you send me a picture (denniskevingibbons@gmail.com) of the bracket? It is removable?

Thanks,

Dennis
itchen

Post by itchen »

Dennis

I will try to find a photo as the boat is in VA..Better if I could send to your email... pm me with it.
The bracket is removable...it sets into what appears to be a vertical stanchion mount base which is bolted just below the caprail.

I think the bracket is made of 1" stainless tubing and sets into the socket ( stanchion base ) and is secured with a cotter pin that keeps it
in position.

Sincerely

Mark
SV Seabird