2 questions: mainsail and weather helm

Share and discuss.

Moderator: admin

Jason S.

2 questions: mainsail and weather helm

Post by Jason S. »

Hi, I recently test sailed and put a bid on a 1985 Frances 26. I'm fairly confident the seller and I will reach a deal and expect that to happen this week. Meanwhile I do have two questions based upon my experience with the boat:

1. The hoisted mainsail did not go all the way to the top of the mast, but rather a few feet lower. It was definitely all the way up and appeared to be the original Mainsail. Has anyone seen this before?

2. Our test sale took place in about 15 knots of wind with full main and I believe a 140% genoa flying. I was surprised to find quite a bit of weather helm while on both close and beam reaches with the sales trimmed properly. I should point out that while close-hauled the boat balanced perfectly so much so that I let go of the tiller and it held the compass course for about 15 minutes. But the weather helm threw me off. From everything I read this boat is supposed to be very well-balanced without much weather helm. If anyone could comment I'd appreciate it.

Thank you very much. Jason
dgibbons

Re: 2 questions: mainsail and weather helm

Post by dgibbons »

Good luck with your purchase.
It would help to know which version of the Frances you are referring to and that would help with our answers.

For example,
Last year I bought a British built flush deck version and discovered that I did not have full hoist of the main which also led to a low swinging boom. I have been able to correct that by raising the tack stop on the mast and replacing the tack shackle with an elongated one. As to the cause; I think the sail was made for the cabin version of the Frances which is designed with a higher tack to clear the cabin.

As to weather helm, my flush deck Frances (with the 2 foot sprit) has no such problem. I have discussed various matter with Chuck Paine and he believe the sprit version of his boat balances much better than those tacked at the bow
Jason S.

Post by Jason S. »

Hi. I did not realize that a reply to my question had been posted. I did not receive notification and just saw it now. Thank you for responding. I have the Victoria full coach roof version with three port lights on either side and one port light facing the bow. The main and boom are definitely up all the way. The current / former owner has a theory that the mast was made taller as part of the cutter rig setup to give the mast more support at about 3/4 or 7/8 of the way up. I do notice that there is a fourth side stay on either side of the Mast which goes up not to the very top of the Mast but a few feet lower almost where the mainsail stops when it's raised. As I mentioned before, the boat has a very strong weather helm in 15 to 20 knot conditions so it's hard to imagine that the Mainsail is smaller then Factory. The Mainsail also has the V26 insignia and appears to be original with three sets of reef points.
vtupelohoney

Post by vtupelohoney »

Hello
I have the Victoria Frances 26 with the full coach roof . My mainsail is newer, and it goes all the way to the top of the mast. I don't have a bowsprit. I have experienced weather helm also when reaching in 15+ knots of wind. My genny is a 130% and I roll it in to about 100% in that breeze, which takes care of the weather helm. And does she fly! What a great sailing boat!
If the wind gets up to 18+ I put a reef in the main.
Best of luck to you.
Jason S.

Post by Jason S. »

Thank you for your reply. My Victoria has the bowsprit. Does yours have four side stays on each side?
dgibbons

Post by dgibbons »

I just noticed your question. The fourth set of shrouds act as running backstays for the inner forestay when the boat is sailed as a cutter. If sailed as a sloop, they are vestigial.