Self Steering

Share and discuss.

Moderator: admin

josephine

Post by josephine »

hi Steve,
as owner of "Frances Josephine" I am also looking for the installation of a windvane-system - and reflecting on the pac light. But Peter F. seems to prefer the stronger pac. Reason: sea pressure problems in situations of backward drift. So I am thinking of a trimtab-system. Obviously some owners have this system in use. F.ex. "GYPSY" on this frances.org mainpage. ("IF"with her different formed rudder maybe also). I would be glad, if someone of those owners could give me (us) some words concerning their experiences.
Tobias
Last edited by josephine on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

I have since ordered and taken delivery of the windpilot light. To get it fitted i have had to make a grp (flash) of the back of the boat (a lot of help from friends).
In the new year i will get the stainless stel bracket made and fitted.

Part of the reason for going with the idea of a slightly longer bowsprit is to achieve nearly neutral helm and give the self steering an easy time. Peter was very happy the the light version(with remote control option) should work well on such a well mannered boat.
dkgibbons

Post by dkgibbons »

Has anyone used the Norvane? James Baldwin (who helped Doug with La Luz) thinks highly of it and states it is much easier to mount. There is a link to it on James' web page. Doug, your thoughts?
Dennis
josephine

Post by josephine »

Hi Steve - even not being sure about the best steering system I just took the chance for a Pac light for a reasonable price by ebay- I could not let it go (this gear had been before in use on a OE28, also a double-ender which is somewhat heavier than a frances). So we both could have an exchange on fitting and sailing experiences - I will be curious.
Concerning the Norvane on frances - so far I didn`t find any informations.
Tobias
Last edited by josephine on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

Excellent--big problem is getting the brackets made-have to wait into the new year to get started , although the grp flash will help.
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

What i have done so far is made a 'flash' of the back of the boat in grp and bonded that onto a plywood base--that will form a former or jig for the fabricator to work from.

The bracket will be based on simple ones on this site eg the one on La Luz--as being the same steering system.

Best wishes
stevebn
josephine

Post by josephine »

stevebncanoe wrote:What i have done so far is made a 'flash' of the back of the boat in grp and bonded that onto a plywood base--that will form a former or jig for the fabricator to work from.

The bracket will be based on simple ones on this site eg the one on La Luz--as being the same steering system.

Best wishes
stevebn
Steve, I am still worrying on the windvane frame. Could you give me your data concerning the length of your windvane-ruddershaft (rotation axis to rudder-blade-axis) ? Taking my existing shaft length of 60 cm, the windvane(-axis) will have an relatively deep mounting position (~25 deeper than the stem hight).
greetings Tobias (Tobias.Menke@t-online.de)
laluz

Re: Self Steering

Post by laluz »

Sorry it has taken so long to respond---
I think any wind vane would work as long as it is properly installed. None of them will work, however, if the boat is not correctly balanced, which is pretty easy to achieve with our boats.
If I had to do it again I'd get the most inexpensive, lightweight vane I could find...So maybe the Norvane if buying new was the only option. My Pacific Windpilot was bought used, and works perfectly, but would be crazy expensive brand new. Cheers