Frances 26 Wanted

Frances 26 for sale, wanted. Parts and pieces.

Moderator: admin

Pinch

Frances 26 Wanted

Post by Pinch »

I'm interested in buying a Frances 26. Any leads would be appreciated. Thank you.
itchen

Re: Frances 26 Wanted

Post by itchen »

Hello Pinch,

Did you check out Satym that was on Yachtworld. I know it has been for sale for quite
awhile. Where are you located and where do you plan to sail ?
I have the Frances 26 named Seabird which I purchased a few years back. Great sailing boats and not hard on the eyes either

Best to you
Mark
Pinch

Post by Pinch »

itchen wrote:Did you check out Satym that was on Yachtworld."
Hi Mark,
Yes, I've seen the listing but I prefer a Morris completed boat. Seabird is such a pretty boat. How is she to sail single-handed? Thank you.
itchen

Post by itchen »

Hello Pinch

I sail Seabird mostly by myself. Easy to handle and well behaved. The boat was a cutter rig but I removed the staysail hardware and just sail her as a sloop. I see that there is another Francis for sale on Yachtworld which is a UK built trunk cabin model. I have had a number of different boats, Cape George, Bristol Channel Cutter etc and this one is the perfect boat for me at this time. Good amount of room below and well suited to some weekend trips as well.
Where are you located ? I will keep my eyes peeled for a boat. They do not come on the market often. I did some sleuthing and found Seabird for sale be a private owner.

Best
Mark
Pinch

Post by Pinch »

Thanks Mark! Is there a significant difference in build quality between the Morris/UK built boats? Morris has an excellent reputation.
I'm in CT and ready for a Frances. I sold my last sailboat about 5 years ago and have had a power boat ever since. I can't take it anymore and have have to get back to sailing. Thanks again, Jim

itchen wrote:Hello Pinch

I sail Seabird mostly by myself. Easy to handle and well behaved. The boat was a cutter rig but I removed the staysail hardware and just sail her as a sloop. I see that there is another Francis for sale on Yachtworld which is a UK built trunk cabin model. I have had a number of different boats, Cape George, Bristol Channel Cutter etc and this one is the perfect boat for me at this time. Good amount of room below and well suited to some weekend trips as well.
Where are you located ? I will keep my eyes peeled for a boat. They do not come on the market often. I did some sleuthing and found Seabird for sale be a private owner.

Best
Mark
itchen

Post by itchen »

Pinch

My boat is currently in a marina in VA where there is a UK built ( Victoria 26 ) as well.
I am told by the yard who has done work on her that she is not as well made as the Frances.

There is a owners association on the Morris site where they show where there various models are ported. They sometimes give a boat name as well. I remember checking the boat name on the Coast Guard site to see if they were documented...if they were you could get the owners name and address. I called a number of them and hit on one who was ready to sell. I wish you luck in your search and will send a note if I spot one.
Best to you

Mark
Jay

Post by Jay »

I am considering selling my 1980 Frances..." Wildwood" ( once Tom Morris' personal boat)
She is pristine with new awlgrip ( hull and spars) and many thousands spent improving an already beautiful boat. Her Nanni diesel looks and runs like it just came out of the crate.
She will also have a new full dodger ( with stainless grab rails).. Scheduled ( and paid for) for early Aug. She also has a brand new full winter cover. Bow pulpit ( new from Morris) double lifelines and modified aft rail have made her even nicer.
I have well over 50k into the boat now, so that will give you an idea of what kind of respectful offers I would seriously consider.
The ONLY reason this may happen is to move up to something a little larger. My boat exquisite to sail....just looking at her is thing of pure joy....functional work of art. ( Thank you Mr Morris and Mr Paine!!)
Her exterior varnish is still nice, but that is the only thing that's not perfect.
She has an inner forestay with a quick release for the storm jib.
A few pictures ( in her new Kingston Gray Awlgrip) can be seen on my earlier posts " Wildwoods lucky new caretaker"
Located on beautiful Lake Champlain in VT.
Jay
802-434-7444
802-598-3073
dgibbons

Post by dgibbons »

Hi all,
I am retiring the end of this year (Finally!) and will be looking to sail off into the sunset. Preferably on a Frances 26. Anyone here in the US considering selling? Give me a blast (denniskevingibbons@gmail.com) and maybe you can avoid the broker fee and I can save some money also.
Dennis