Does a Frances 26 have a ORR or IRC rating?

Share and discuss.

Moderator: admin

garyanddonna

Does a Frances 26 have a ORR or IRC rating?

Post by garyanddonna »

Does a Frances 26 have a ORR or IRC rating, I am thinking of having some fun? I am new to the racing side of this, any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
Aurora
itchen

Re: Does a Frances 26 have a ORR or IRC rating?

Post by itchen »

Hello Gary and Donna,

I found a PHRF list for Long Island Sound, NY . They have a handicap listed for a Victoria 26 ( UK built Frances 26) and it indicates a 237 handicap. This sounds reasonable for the boat. I just purchased a Frances 26 and was curious as well.

I plan to do some round the buoy races on the Rappahannock River if I can. I used to have a Bristol Channel Cutter and that handicap was around 225. Where are you sailing and is your boat in the gallery ?

I have not yet posted pics yet but plan to soon.
Best to you

Mark'
SV "Seabird"
garyanddonna

Post by garyanddonna »

Hello Seabird:
My Frances 26 is Aurora. I purchased her one year ago and have spent that time fixing her up. Currently she is on Lake Lanier in Georgia. High hopes of getting her back to the coast.

Do you have any photos?

GAry
itchen

Post by itchen »

Hello Gary,

I'll try to post some photos to the gallery section tomorrow. I picked her up in Oxford, MD and sailed her down to VA where I have a house on the water. Was your Frances the one for sale in CT ?

Only had one issue with the boat when the exhaust elbow went and diesel exhaust and water were dumped into the boat.
The diesel was worse than the water as the soot was everywhere.

Best to you
Mark
garyanddonna

Post by garyanddonna »

Yes, my 1977 Frances (Aurora) was the one on at Dodson Boatyard in Ct. I have spent the last year doing repairs and refinishing the deck. She now has new bronze Gudgeon and Pintals, repainted shear stripe, new Schaefer 1100 roller furler, sail covers, & interior cushions. Next on the list is to update the electrical system, and repaint the interior. She lives on Lake Lanier, Georgia for now.
I plan to attend the Annapolis Boat show this October, anyone interested in getting together for a drink and repair stories?
itchen

Post by itchen »

Gary and Donna,

I think I recall seeing your Frances at Dobson's some time back. Just got some pics up of "Seabird" in the gallery section.
I may be down to Annapolis for the show...not certain but will confirm if I am going. I wanted to check out the Beta 14 diesel for a possible repower. Currently have an aging Universal 11 hp diesel. My boat is in VA about 2-1/2 hours south of Annapolis in Kilmarnock VA. If not at show I will be down at the house if you just happen to be in the neighborhood.

Best to you

Mark
SV Seabird