Engine repower

Share and discuss.

Moderator: admin

itchen

Engine repower

Post by itchen »

In the process of repowering. Original Universal Atomic Diesel ( 5411 ) is tired. Researched all options and best fit and overall package is the Beta 14. I will try to post pictures here. The mounting for the Beta 14 is on same centers as the Universal so no work on engine beds. Some minor plumbing issues on exhaust system to work out.

Will also replace cutlass and shaft as well as re-pitch the prop if needed.

Mark in Mountainville, NY

SV Seabird
dkgibbons

Re: Engine repower

Post by dkgibbons »

Would think the Beta 10 would be sufficient give displacement.
Installing Dripless stuffing box at the same time?
itchen

Post by itchen »

Hello,

The Beta 10 was discontinued several years ago. It is actually the identical engine , just running at a lower RPM (3000) versus 3600 RPM for the 14. They dropped from line as almost a redundancy in product offering. I will try to get dripless in if possible. Pretty tight back there. Can't seem to figure how to post pics here yet.

Best
Mark
SV Seabird
itchen

Post by itchen »

Here are photos of first fit of Beta 14 in engine space as well as relocating the raw water and fuel strainer.

Hope this works...

Mark
SV "Seabird"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Erich

Post by Erich »

Hello,
I wonder may you can post more pictures from the engine room. I would like to see how is the gearbox connect to the shaft and more....like engine bed......

I'm going to install a marinised Kubota 3 cyl. and need some more info because working on the engine bed at the moment.

Especially how is the prop shaft joint to the gearbox. My prop shaft is sitting in an 20 degree angle to the waterline, most of the engine don't like it to be mounted in an angle more than 15 degree because of the oil pump. Would be great to see how other frances26 sort this out.

Cheers

Erich
Auckland
New Zealand

PS: bought the Zanes project frances ages ago and now I start rebuild the whole boat incl. pilothouse, deck, and more
itchen

Post by itchen »

Hello Eric,

I'll get some pictures of that area but I will not be back at the boat for about 10 days. I know that Beta supplies a flex coupling which was used between gearbox and stuffing box . I am using the original stuffing box as it was not feasible to install a dripless unit. The Beta 14 fits very nicely in the space and has same mounting as engine beds.

Later

Best to you
Mark
SV "Seabird" :D
efkirton

Post by efkirton »

I am interested in your 2014 re-power, I am considering a Beta 14 for my upcoming winter project. Any insight is appreciated.

Eric
AURORALcoaster
efkirton

Post by efkirton »

I am interested in your 2014 re-power, I am considering a Beta 14 for my upcoming winter project. Any insight is appreciated.

Eric
AURORALcoaster
itchen

Post by itchen »

Hello Eric,

As I mentioned , I had a Universal Atomic diesel. I chose thes the Beta 14 since it was designed to mount on the same mount centers. It is a compact unit and well thought out for ease of maintaining as well. I did have to re prop as the trans ration was different. I went with a re-pitched Campbell Sailor prop which was used with the old diesel. The engine is well matched to the displ of the Frances and pushes her at hull speed at about
3200 rpm. I ended up installing a new shaft and cutlass bearing at same time. As the engine block is a Kubota, parts are easily available. I went with the largest cockpit control panel as the existing cut out was already large.

There is a dealer in CT but as the repower was done in VA I purchased from the NC facility. I would contact Farron who is very knowledgeable
on the Beta series as well as other diesels. Here is the contact info ...Farron Peffer I will get some pics of the drive end when I am down this weekend and email to you as posting pics here is a bit of hit or miss.

.Farron Peffer
BETA MARINE US Ltd.
11702 Hwy 306 South
Minnesott Beach, NC 28510
www.betamarine.net
Tel: (877) 227 2473 (toll free) :D

I