Danska Rebuild - clean slate?

Meet and greet, tell us something about your yacht.

Moderator: admin

Dave

Danska Rebuild - clean slate?

Post by Dave »

Just thought I would post a couple of pictures to show the work I've done so far. It's been slow going but rewarding. The summer was just too hot to work down below.

The interior is just about stripped. The next thing I'd like to tackle is cutting out some of the bulkhead and bunk laminations. Mostly the non-structural ones. I plan on keeping the lamination running up the sides to ensure that the hull keeps her shape when the mid-deck is removed. My plan is to remove and replace the mid-deck first, then the bow and lastly the aft section. This keeps the task manageable since I'm primarily a workforce of one.

You may be able to see in the pictures that many of the laminated deck beams fell apart. Upon inspection it was clear that there was a massive failure of whatever adhesive they used - maybe resorcinol. The glue is basically red colored dust now. Very little if any was absorbed into the mahogany. The strips almost look as though they could be used again with a little sanding except for the rotted ends.

I'm not happy with the hull to deck joint that was used. I don't believe it was strong enough and it allowed for too much deck to hull movement which lead to massive leaking. I'm still contemplating how to do the rebuild - whether to use plywood, balsacore or nida-core. This will somewhat depend upon the best deal I can scavenge - liquidations or closeouts.

I welcome your comments or ideas.

[apparently my pix files are too large - I'll have to work on that, sorry]
admin
Site Admin

Re: Danska Rebuild - clean slate?

Post by admin »

How is the work going?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks for asking. After seeing pictures of Tula, I have to say that I am way behind schedule. Luckily, Danska is resting comfortably in my backyard and weathered Hurricane Sandy without incident. Since I had many house related projects to take care of, I mainly worked on the procurement of supplies. I now has enough foamcore panels to rebuild the entire deck. I purchased a good supply of 1/2" Baltek AIREX C70-200 scored panels for the curved roof and recently a bunch of 1-1/2" Core-cell M-200 for the flat deck areas and cockpit. With that thickness of foam, I'll be able to rabbet a lot of the edges, fit everything together and then fiberglass it all at the same time; my attempt at mold-less construction. I also pulled the Yanmar 1GM10 from the hull employing a very acrobatic jury-rigged derrick. Since I never ran the engine and I don't know what condition she's in I also picked up an old 1 cyl. Farryman Diesel as a backup. I'm still debating however whether I'll reinstall either engine. I do have a high-torque British Seagull outboard engine that should push her just fine.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm a fan of the Seagull outboard engine option..
Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm drawn to the Seagull option because I like the idea of not having any holes below the waterline. It also significantly reducing the about of maintenance involved with the boat. I also bet she won't miss the extra weight while sailing. My overall goal is simplicity.

When I removed the fuel tank, I drained 10 gallons of questionable diesel and there was about an inch of sludge at the bottom of the tank. I filled two 5 gal. jugs and brought them to my town's semi-annual recycling day. I also gave them the fuel tank because I was not going to try and clean it out. I had no idea that the tank was completely full or I would have drained it before having the boat trucked down to NJ. Given the age of some of the fittings, I'm now glad I didn't find a bilge filled with fuel when it arrived.

If I do decide to reinstall the Yanmar 1GM10 or go with Farymann, I was only going to install a 1 or 1.5 gal spun aluminum tank. Just enough fuel to get in and out of the dock/slip. That amount would probably last me all season.

I've got time to decide. I still need to finish stripping the inside of the hull. The engine mount blocks need to be removed (cut out) and all of the plywood tabbed to the hull around it - completely rotten.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Danska slept all season again as I worked on a bathroom and kitchen rebuild. Maybe 2016 will be the year to get back at it. I did however score six full sheets of BS1088 grade marine mahogany plywood at a moving sale - they were too heavy to take them with them. Now that the interior is just about gutted, I'm going to need them.