Self Steering

Share and discuss.

Moderator: admin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Scanmar International has a page dedicated to mounting the Monitor windvane on the Frances 26.

http://www.selfsteer.com/boats/view.php?boatTypeID=897
dkgibbons

Post by dkgibbons »

Your picture of La Luz shows her with the Windpilot Pacific Lite. A better match for the boat I think
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

The scanmar bracket looks heavy clumsy and awkward--i would like to know how well the windpilot works on "la luz" as that is the one i am thinking of putting on my boat.
dkgibbons

Post by dkgibbons »

Steve,
I corresponded a lot with the owner of Windpilot (Peter Förthmann) when I was considering a van for my Nic. I liked him and the design. I would contact him. I am pretty sure that La Luz is using the Pacific Lite rather than the heavier version, but I would confirm that with Peter. I agree that the Scanmar is a bit clutzy.
Dennis
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

It does look like the pacific light---having looked at the site the kit looks good and its a reasonable price compared with some of the other wind vane systems.
I am in the process of designing a boomkin to take the windpilot and to take the backstay so that i can more easily accommodate the longer boom which i will be fitting soon.
dkgibbons

Post by dkgibbons »

I think that makes sense. If you are going to mount a windvane, you are basically building a boomkin so you may as well mount the backstay there. You may want to check with Chuck Payne. I hear he is very helpful although semi retired.
Check with Peter as the Francis is at the outer edge of displacement for the Pacific Lite.
I think I asked before, which side of the Atlantic are you on?
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

The east side ie the uk.
It looks like the pacific light will be ok because the boat is so basically well balanced and directionally stable. How would i get in touch with chuck paine ??
dkgibbons

Post by dkgibbons »

There is a link on this home page.
laluz26

Post by laluz26 »

la luz has the pacific , not the lite. the lite did not come with a remote control set up, so opted for a bit of extra weight (10 or 12 lbs) in exchange for being able to adjust course from hatch. the windvane works perfectly, and i have yet to see another one as well designed and constructed.
we are currently in colon , panama waiting to transit canal.
doug
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

La luz---is very much the inspiration for the refit of my own boat---and was the pictures of the boat provided the final push or me to buy a frances 26 myself. I am just trying to work out whether to opt for the pacific or the pacific light.

At the moment i am in the final design stage of working out all the details of my boomkin and self steering mounting--the boomkin will also be taking the backstay as i am going for an extended boom and ultimately an extended bowsprit too.

i notice that the bowsprit on la luz appears slightly longer and a lot better looking than the standard frances bowsprit.

Quick question--what make is the cover/bimini on la luz.

Hope all is well.
laluz26

Post by laluz26 »

the boom tent is a ronstan with inflatable sections. it was display and the price was right. is works fine , but what i really need is a bimini to use while underway. the canoe stern and bridgedeck sheeting make it a bit of a challenge..
i went back and forth on the pacific or pac lite --peter strongly recommended the pacific, if that helps you out at all. our boats are right on t he limit of what displacement..and while i am sure the lite will steer the boat fine, you will have to fit a homemade remote device in order to adjust course from cockpit. check out roger taylor´s site the simple sailor...he has fit a lite on his boat ming ming and you can see his own version of a remote control device on a pacific lite vane..cheers..doug
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

Doug--thanks,i had been set on the pacific lite as on the website there is a frances set up with one. Really not sure which way to go now as if peter is saying the pacific then he is the one building the gear and should know !!. I was thinking that as the boat nearly self steers and needs so little steering force then the light would be good due to the weight and cost.
Not too worried about the remote control idea.

Thanks
Stevebn
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

Doug--i forgot to ask but in the atom voyages blog you mention writing a magazine article about the la luz refit--i would like to get a copy if you could point me in the right direction.
laluz26

Post by laluz26 »

the remote is nice since it keeps you from having to lean out over the stern of the boat..sounds like it isn´t a big deal, but it is one very simple way to have extra security. also i find that i often make slight adjustments to the course, so nice to be able to do it from hatch....peter will sell you on the remote. you could go sheet to tiller without a big problem. a navik, fleming, norvane, monitor...any of them work fine.
james baldwin wrote the article, which i have still not seen. as for the refit, as you can imagine it is ongoing.but the boat is worth it..sails beautifully. my trip from jamaica to colon--585 miles in 104 hours. not bad avg for 21 ft waterline.
stevebncanoe

Post by stevebncanoe »

I have just been in contact with peter at windpilot who has reccomended the pacific lite version but with a new remote control option.
Think that is the way it will go.